Sunday, April 3, 2011

iPads, Droid Tablets, Kindles & Nooks in Our Schools


I came across a post on edutopia.com that asked the question about what type of filters were being put on the new mobile devices that everyone is using. Many older computers are now being replaced with iPads or Droid Tablets, and often children have their own that they bring in from home to use.

http://www.edutopia.org/groups/administrators/41672

The question is again about internet safety and what can and cannot be filtered, and whether or not having mobile devices in school pose any type of safety risk. I can see the enormous benefit and convenience of using these devices now, but I can also see the potential dangers. These wireless devices require their own data plan that uses a connection outside of the schools wireless network. That being said, I'm curious as to how they will address these problems in the future.

1 comment:

  1. This to me is very concerning. I have 3 children that are still in school and the thought that they will some day have to use their own computers in class makes me nervous. I would want the best security for them. I know that schools can have blocks on certian sites and such for what comes and goes through their internet. But lets face it if someone or something wants to get through they will find a way. Seems to me that there are just to many kids at school to monitor what they are into.

    ReplyDelete